Emory College Education Abroad
Office of Undergraduate Education
PEER ADVISOR APPLICATION
Emory College Education Abroad has established a system of peer advising to represent the student perspective on study, research and service abroad to the Emory community. The Peer Advisors, in addition to staff, serve as a resource to inspire interest in study abroad by enthusiastically sharing their personal insight and providing information about the opportunities offered by Study Abroad.
Study Abroad is now seeking Peer Advisors for Spring 2023. These positions pay $12.00 per hour. We are looking for students who can commit at least 10 hours per week to our office during business hours. Students do not need to be eligible for work study in order to apply. However, if you are eligible for work study, please indicate this on your application form.
For questions, please contact Study Abroad at: email@example.com
- Advise students on the basic elements of study abroad including available programs (semester, year, and summer), scholarship opportunities, application deadlines and procedures, etc.
- Attend initial training session (at the beginning of the semester) and regular meetings throughout each semester (TBA)
- Assist Study Abroad Advisors on specific projects and pre-departure orientation sessions
- Present information to groups on campus including RACE groups, residence halls, student organizations, Wonderful Wednesday, selected classes, etc.
- Perform administrative tasks in the office, greet students as they arrive, and provide timely information for walk-ins and phone calls
- Assist staff in presenting information at University events such as Sophomore Year Experience, Admissions Open House Days, Parent and Family Weekend, etc.
- Staff general information tables, participate in Study Abroad Fairs, help in coordinating the Study Abroad Photo Contest, and present at information sessions
- Respond to emails from interested students
- Assist with Drop-in Advising, both virtual and in-person
- Contribute ideas, feedback, and suggestions from the student perspective and work with office to implement new and better programming ideas
- Talk about your study abroad experience to people who will listen, whenever you can
- Other duties as assigned or as suggested by you!
- Previous participation on an Emory-approved study, intern, research and/or service abroad program
- Ability to advise students in a truthful and accurate manner, to uphold the policies and procedures of Study Abroad and Emory, and to represent the office in a professional manner
- A positive attitude, enthusiasm for experiences abroad, and a willingness to share your experience with interested students
- Ability to use oral and written communication effectively
- Commitment to work the entire academic year
- Occasional willingness to work flexible hours (including occasional weekends and evenings)